Do You Know the Most Common Way That House Fires Start in Winter? | SERVPRO® of Downtown Charleston
House fires are something that can happen any time of year for a multitude of reasons, but in the winter, they are something we recommend that people be extra cognizant of as they live their lives.
The Red Cross has found that house fires are most likely to occur in the wintertime, but by knowing the reasons why this is, you can better prevent and prepare for fires in your own home.
#1. Cooking Accidents
Cooking, always the leading cause of house fires, leads to even more fires during the winter than it does during the other times of the year. Cooking fires are a serious matter, and because they are often started when simmering or baking food is left unattended, they can cause serious damage before they are even noticed. Compounding this, there are often hectic kitchen environments surrounding large family meals, which are more common in the winter—this can easily lead to flammable objects being forgotten near the stove, another top cause for fires to start.
#2. Heating Errors
Heating your home is a must for staying comfortable during Charleston’s chilly evenings, but it is something that should be done with safety at the forefront to prevent any issues. Though fireplaces are not as common here, if you do have one, it is always best to treat them with the utmost caution—an open flame can quickly spread to any flammable items that are nearby. If you employ the use of an artificial fireplace or a space heater, make sure that they will automatically turn off if they are knocked over or become overheated.
#3. Candle Mishaps
Candles, a popular way to increase the coziness of the home as well as decorate for holidays, can lead to hazards in the home as well. Around a third of household decoration fires are from candles, which tends to be more common in the winter as this is when people decorate. It is important to remember that candles are still open flames, and should be treated as such.
If you have damage to your home due to a fire, we are here to help. You can get in touch with us at any hour to learn more about our restoration services or to report damages.